Monday 3 November 2008

Fraudulent bank emails

How do you know if an email from a bank is a fraud?

For a fully illustrated guide, download this FREE ebook.

1. Point your mouse at any of the links in the email. DON'T CLICK. If you are using Windows Mail or Outlook Express you will see the link displayed at the bottom left of your screen. This is rarely the real bank's web address. Usually it is either a fake site set up just for the scam or the phishers have added their fake site onto a genuine site.

2. Stop and think about what they are asking. Often they claim the bank is putting in place new security measures so you need to reconfirm your data. Why? They know your data. They claim their is some kind of problem with your data and you need to reconfirm it. How do they know there is a problem?

3. The language is often a giveaway. Poor spelling and poor grammar. Often the email contains threats - such as your account will be suspended if you don't do as they ask.

What to do if you receive these emails.

1. Delete them
2. Don't reply

Suppose the email says it has come from your bank?
1. Even if you think the email might be genuine - NEVER click on a link in it.
2. Open up your web browser and TYPE in the address of your bank's website. Then you will know you are going straight to the genuine website.
3. For reassurance you can always phone your bank if you think the message might be genuine.

I use online banking. I have my online account set so that I don't receive any emails, ever, from my bank. If they want to contact me they have to write to me. That way I know that ALL the emails I receive are fakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment